Wednesday, February 10, 2010

And the Oscar will go to... (Round 1)

This week's challenge was to use social media to try and predict the winner of the Academy Award for Best Motion Picture. So here it goes:

I quickly googled to find the list of Nominees:
“Avatar”
“The Blind Side”
“District 9”
“An Education”
“The Hurt Locker”
“Inglourious Basterds”
“Precious: Based on the Novel ‘Push’ by Sapphire”
“A Serious Man”
“Up”
“Up in the Air”

I can tell you what my top three nominees are: Avatar, The Hurt Locker, and The Blind Side. All three movies I have not been able to escape hearing about. I haven't seen any of them because I live in a moneyless cave, but I can't stop hearing and reading about them.

So after figuring out my top three based on what's been jumping at me, I did a little bit more searching. I used goggle trends, trendistic, twitter search and socialmention to see what was talked about the most. In my opinion, if it's talked about, it's going to win. I don't have to read every blog, or see everyone's opinion. If its stirring the pot, it's bound for greatness.

Avatar seems to be the most talked about movie. Everyone is raving about it and the revolutions its causing in movie and television technology. With fanatical people becoming obsessed with this movie to the point of suicide because they wish they were in Pandora instead of Earth, it's a LOT of talk.

Based on keywords associated with the Oscars on socialmention.com, it appears that Hurtlocker may be talked about the most as a movie, while James Cameron comes up as best director. Could Hurtlocker be giving Avatar a run for its money? I'm not so sure. My money is on Avatar.

No comments:

Post a Comment