Wednesday, March 3, 2010

And the Oscar will go to... (Round 2)

Where there’s smoke, there’s fire; and where there’s drama, there’s an Oscar. I’m not talking about on-screen drama, I mean the fact that The Hurt Locker producer is banned from the Oscar ceremony because, according to bostonherald.com, he sent out an email asking voters to ignore the “$500 million” movie. My theory is this: the friends that received the email to boycott Avatar will vote for The Hurt Locker in protest to the fact that Nicolas Chartier has been banned from the ceremony. It will all end in poetic justice.

Is that all the drama? Of course not. Apparently there’s another personal battle being fought between the directors of The Hurt Locker and Avatar. Kathryn Bigelow (director of THL) and James Cameron (If you don’t know who he his, get out of your cave) were married for a short time between 1989 and 1991. According to a few blogs that I’ve read, people are rooting for THL not only because they feel it’s a superior movie in acting and script, but because they want Bigelow to knock Cameron down a notch or two. Nothing would be more perfect than sticking it to Cameron by giving the Oscar to his underdog ex-wife and her low-budget war film.
That’s two points for The Hurt Locker.

Checking back with my other social media mention trackers, it seems that talk about Avatar and THL are consistent since the announcement of their nominations. That being said, Avatar is still consistently way higher in mentions than THL.

So do I go with my previous prediction that more talk means better results? Not when there’s drama like this around. I’m taking a 180-degree spin and changing my bet to The Hurt Locker. Maybe it’s my desire to see a multi-million-dollar-man get shown up by his low-budget ex-wife, but I also think drama is gold.

No comments:

Post a Comment