Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Brand Stories

I think as human beings we’re inclined to be interested in knowing how certain things came about. I like knowing that the food I feed my dog is made in a small factory in Alberta, by a family-run company. It gives me a sense of pride that I’m helping out a hard working, small group of people. I know that these people have my dog’s health in mind, and that’s why they only use wild-caught fish and fresh ingredients. It gives me a feeling of security and reassurance in my dog’s long-term health.


So many brands try to accomplish this connection to their customers. Every brand has a story, but how come they don’t all share that story? Well, it’s because they know what their customers want to hear. People don’t want to know the story of Company B’s CEO who got sick of Company A, and resigned, only to start Company B a year later. People would rather hear about small towns where the local farmer makes his world-famous jams.


People love feeling philanthropic without actually doing anything charitable. Marketers who use this tool – brand stories – are brilliant. If you can get a customer to feel like they are contributing to society by making the purchase of an everyday item, then your product will flourish. Well done.

No comments:

Post a Comment