Thursday, October 8, 2009

Dear Burton, Apple and Nine West, I love you.

I’ve never thought of myself as much of a (pardon the term) ‘brand-whore’. I don’t buy clothing with designer labels, I don’t shop for brand name groceries. I’m a value shopper. I buy the food that gives me the least cost per 100 grams. I buy clothing that fits and looks nice – on sale. I can’t remember the last time I purchased a piece of clothing at full price. I got my cell phone for free when I signed a contract with Rogers. A friend of mine jokes with me and calls me “Frugal. C-h-e-a-p. Frugal.”

And then I thought about it… In many ways, I’m very brand loyal, but I justify it in my own head.

My winter coat is made by Burton (a bit of a faux-pas, since I’m a skier, not a snowboarder), as are my snow pants, gloves a toque. I’ve consciously purchased these items because I know that they are a great value. I know that my pants won’t rip, and they’ll keep me dry and warm. I know that my gloves are made with Gore-tex fabric that wicks away sweat so I don’t freeze. My jacket has amazing features like armpit ventilation, secret pockets, a goggle cleaner on a string, and a specially designed system for my ipod that keeps it close to my body so it doesn’t freeze and break. I love ingenuity. I’m more than willing to fork out the money for a brand that is willing to develop products specific to my lifestyle and hobbies.

I love my Apple computers. I’ve literally never owned anything but an Apple computer. My Dad is an industrial designer and as such, has never used a PC in his life. That has been passed down to me and I wouldn’t have it any other way. I love that most of the programs are developed by the same people. It makes it so much easier for me to learn how to use that new program because the same train of thought went into the user interface.

I love my Nine West heels. Yes, I wear heels sometimes, and my 3 pairs of Nine West’s are amazing. They are always comfortable from the day you buy them, they don’t lose colour, and they always last a long time. For $100 I could buy shoes from Le Chateau, and have the heel break off after wearing them 5 times. For $130 (or $23 like I did last week on clearance) I could buy a pair of Nine West’s and never wear through them. It’s all about value.

So I skimp out on my casual clothing and my groceries. It’s all worth it so that I can afford the important brands that are worth saving for.

Such an interesting phenomenon. I’m sure it would be impossible to find someone who is truly not connected or preferential to at least a few brands. I thought I was the farthest thing from a brand person, but I’m really not. It takes a lot for me to really attach myself to a brand. So, congratulations Burton, Apple and Nine West.

Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment